Re: etc/HELLO markup etc.

From: Van L
Subject: Re: etc/HELLO markup etc.
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 17:51:35 +1100

>>> That's not the original purpose of that file. The purpose is to show
>>> scripts,
>>> not languages, and to show how we display different scripts in the same
>>> buffer.
>>
>> The descriptive text accompanying (view-hello-file) says the following,
>> which needs to swap scripts for languages where that is.
>>
>> : Display the HELLO file, which lists many languages and characters.
>
> I'm not sure.  This discussion has been very technical, and presumably

Yes. It is well and truely deep in the weed of it.

> the participants are well aware of what a script is, in this context.
> By contrast, a random reader of the doc string doesn't necessarily
> know what a script is.  Saying "many languages and characters" is
> vaguely similar, while using only terminology most people understand.

A random reader may have in their consciousness the Rosetta Stone, ESA’s
Rosetta Mission which will be surpassed by NASA’s New Horizon at Ultima Thule
very very soon to bring in the New Year.

You have to think all the grade school students following the Rosetta Mission
were taught what is a language as distinct from a script and characters at
least among the EU nationals when the UK was in there before Brexit.

How about the following? it is 74 columns wide; anyway.

: Display HELLO file, a short sample of some languages, scripts, characters.