Re: Finding the dump

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Finding the dump
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 22:25:50 -0500

  > I would suggest to use another word instead of "should".  Using
  > argv[0] has its drawbacks, e.g., if the string there neither has a
  > slash nor is a file found along PATH -- this could happen when a
  > program is invoked via a symlink

How so?  I don't see how this could happen.  If the symlink was found
in PATH to run the program, it should be there when the program looks
for it, except in the case where it was deleted or renamed in the mean
time.

                                     or some other method, or because the
  > calling program puts there something unrelated to where the executable
  > lives.

Yes, that can happen, but I think that is an error on the caller's
part.  Anyway, there is no other portable method besides argv[0].  I
don't know whether we want to assume that all kernels for GNU will
support /proc/self.

--
Dr Richard Stallman