Re: [RFC]: replace-region-contents

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [RFC]: replace-region-contents
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 19:33:11 +0200

> From: Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 18:02:34 +0100
>
> The bottleneck is `compareseq' in lib/diffseq.h.

Of course.

> Maybe that could signal if more than some maximum number of
> differences have already been found, and in that case
> `replace-buffer-contents' would fallback to a plain delete and
> insert?

There's the too_expensive member that we currently set to a very large
value; maybe we should set it lower? or provide control on it from
Lisp?

Also, there's the EARLY_ABORT macro that can be defined to cause an
early return when the job is too hard.  Maybe you could try defining
it to something appropriate?