Re: A completely pre-emptive time sharing system for GNU Emacs

From: Davin Pearson
Subject: Re: A completely pre-emptive time sharing system for GNU Emacs
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 03:47:04 +1300

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 19:18, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

DP> I am about to write a completely pre-emptive time-sharing system but first
DP> I need to know if I will be re-inventing the wheel.

Hi Davin,

Will this be a C extension of Emacs core?

I plan to write the extension in Elisp.

What are your intentions for the project? What needs do you see it fulfilling?

Anyone who wants Java style threads in their Elisp programs.

Basically, my idea is this:  Suppose you have the following Elisp code:

(defun code ()
   (setq abc 'def)
   (setq def 'ghi))

My mult-threader then generates the following code.

(defun foo-1 ()
   (setq abc 'def)
)

(defun foo-2 ()
  (setq def 'ghi))

Obviously the code gets difficult when you have if/while  constructs.

--
Sincerely and kindest regards, Davin.
Davin Pearson    http://davin.50webs.com