Re: harfbuzz 2f72162: Fix crash in the Cairo build

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: harfbuzz 2f72162: Fix crash in the Cairo build
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 13:36:39 -0500

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Btw, as long as we are talking about this: could you please tell why
> configure.ac disables HAVE_FREETYPE when the build is without XFT?
> AFAIU, ftxfont needs Freetype, so if we disabvle the latter, ftxfont
> cannot be a replacement for XFT.

I don't think it's my doing. See af17b98 and 7bbec45 (from 2009).
"We used to allow building with FreeType and without Xft.
However, the ftx font backend driver is not in good shape."
I don't imagine it has improved in the past decade.

Ref also
http://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2009-04/msg00514.html

where pretty much the same discussion seems to have been going on.