Re: modern regexes in emacs

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: modern regexes in emacs
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 15:08:52 -0500

On 15/02/2019 14.52, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> You cannot seriously propose a global setting that will switch to
> PCRE syntax

No, not at all. Where did you see a hint of me suggesting that?

> as that will cause a lot of breakage.

Just to clarify, I'm looking for a solution that would not break anything.
Using a flag in the regexp might be one such solution ("\(?pcre:…regexp
here…\)"), or it might not.

> Suddenly we are talking about using PCRE everywhere?  Please hold
> your horses.
I'm talking about allowing PCRE everywhere, not necessarily using it
everywhere.  And FWIW, I don't care whether it's PCRE, I just would like to use
some of the more advanced features.