Re: modern regexes in emacs

From: Jay Kamat
Subject: Re: modern regexes in emacs
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 16:34:57 -0800

On February 15, 2019 3:33:17 PM PST, "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Look, the old syntax was replaced by the Unix people in the early
>1980s because it was garbage. Everyone uses the new syntax, and
>everyone is used to it. Sure, new doesn't always mean better, but in
>this case, yes, the newer regex syntax is a whole lot better, not to
>mention that it's what everyone on earth is used to.

I started using Emacs less than 4 years ago (so I could probably consider
myself a 'modern user'), and I honestly find the new syntax much more
confusing. I have never used the flags in those programs to get the new syntax,
and I have seen those flags in a shrinking minority of shell scripts. I find
the new syntax much more unreadable and arcane than the original, although the
original is difficult by itself.

I don't oppose adding more syntaxes, but I will never willingly use the new
format personally.