Re: improve "next locus from <buffer>" messages

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: improve "next locus from <buffer>" messages
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2019 05:55:03 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 12:53:41 -0800
>>
>> > Comment: why change long-time default behavior based on personal
>> > preferences?
>>
>> These messages are not in emacs-26, so I don't think they count as
>> "long-time".
>
> You are right, sorry.  It's just that the changes which introduced
> them were discussed quite some time ago.

Yes. I've only started using master for development recently, so I only
noticed this now.

> But the main issue still stands: why change something based on
> personal preferences? This function is called from many other places:
> xref, multi-occur, even some Dired commands (AFAIR), and it can be
> called intermittently in different contexts. I think displaying the
> context in these situations is generally a good idea.

I agree, but I don't think it makes sense to print the same message over
and over again, when nothing has changed. Isn't there a general
rule to not fill *Messages* with noise?

xref and compile are the only places that change next-error-last-buffer
directly (in the core emacs sources; EPLA packages may also do this).

All of those other places still print the message when the locus has
changed. However, with this patch they only print "next error locus"; I
guess in come cases the "first/current/previous" messages might make
sense.

I'll put back the "first/current/previous", and add a custom option to
control this.

--
-- Stephe