Re: Handling of links with portable dumper

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Handling of links with portable dumper
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2019 00:04:40 -0400

Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2019-04-07 13:44, Paul Eggert wrote:
>> I still think it'd be better to put the dump into the executable
>> itself, which can be done portably simply by linking a big C
>> character array into the executable. in the long run this will be
>> better for users (and for us) than fiddling with portability
>> minefields like set_program_name_and_installdir.
>
> Does that mean also rewriting the full binary when we rewrite the dump?

I would assume that when the executable was built it would be dumped
with the dump file created at that time, but that that emacs could load
a different dump file than the one built into it.  I don't see a good
portable way to re-make the executable after the fact absent going back
to the source build, though.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)