Re: How much I can rely on etc/TODO

From: Sergey Organov
Subject: Re: How much I can rely on etc/TODO
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 15:05:11 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: lxsameer <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 08:50:14 +0100
>>
>> So is "Give desktop.el a feature to switch between different named
>> desktops. " still valid ?
>
> Yes, I think so.  The only existing way of controlling which desktop
> file is to be loaded is AFAIK either by specifying an explicit
> directory when invoking desktop-read, or by customizing desktop-path.

For about 15 years already we use package I wrote called 'desksess.el'
that does this (and a little bit more) atop of 'desktop.el' (and
'session.el'). I can share it if anybody is interested. Nothing very
fancy, but I think it could be useful at least as a source of some
inspirations.

Here is short package description (some statements about 'desktop.el'
could well be very outdated):

;; This package is a wrapper above desktop.el and session.el and depends on
;; them. Unfortunately each of these two nice packages lack essential
;; features available in another:
;;
;; session.el:
;;   - no capability to save non-list globals
;;   - no way to save/restore desktop state (to visit files on startup that
;;     have been visited before exit)
;;
;; desktop.el:
;;   - desktop files scattered over file-system
;;   - no recent files menu capability
;;   - no capability to save/restore point and other locals when previously
;;     visited file is closed and re-opened later
;;
;; The desksess.el tries to use the above two packages to provide more
;; comprehensive and convenient desktop save/restore/switch capabilities.
;;
;; Unlike desktop.el, we store all desktops in a single directory and
;; refer to them by their names, either through menu or commands, so
;; one has single list of all the available desktops. Though loading
;; of arbitrary desktop files is also supported, it's not the primary
;; workflow mode.
;;
;; The package has been extensively tested on Emacs 23.x an 24.4.1.

-- Sergey