Re: [Emacs-diffs] master d826037 3/3: Remove the need for temacs.in

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master d826037 3/3: Remove the need for temacs.in
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 11:53:42 -0700

> branch: master
> commit d82603747564063f908c9c877449c827a9808528
> Author: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Commit: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
>
>     Remove the need for temacs.in
>
>     Instead of building a file temacs.in used only to compute a
>     fingerprint, compute the fingerprint directly from the .o and
>     .a files that go into temacs.in.  This speeds up the build by
>     avoiding the need to link temacs twice, once with a dummy
>     fingerprint.

Please don't do this. Computing a fingerprint over temacs.in factors link
layout information into the fingerprint hash. Your approach doesn't. It's
possible to link Emacs in different ways from the same object files and
produce different binaries. I don't think a little build speedup is worth
the safety loss.