Re: C style alist question?

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: C style alist question?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 03:16:59 +0200

(I send to both mailing lists because it is related with a previous
thread, but the right destination for this mail is the devels mailing
list)

Hi guys:

The issue I was facing with indentations was related actually with the
fact that once an offset is set (for example in the init file) it is
ignored in some cases by c-set-style because it is not "from style"
anymore.

Does it makes sense (or is not too difficult) to provide an option (or a
parameter in c-set-style) that allows the user to overwrite all the
previous offsets with the values from the new style, in spite of if it
is not "from style"? Maybe it already exist?

Another question:

Actually emacs C indentation with tabs follows the following policy:

It add as many tabs as possible and then align with spaces until the
desired column is reached.

====================
-------> is a tab
. is a space
====================

```
int function(int var1,
------->.....double b,
------->.....double c)
{
------->for (int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
------->------->myprintf ("%d\n",
------->------->------->..i);
}
```

But other common policies around are:

1) add only tabs (and ignore the small mismatch in some cases)

int function(int var1,
------->double b,
------->double c)
{
------->for (int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
------->------->myprintf ("%d\n",
------->------->------->i);
}

2) Use tabs (but only for indentation) and spaces to align

int function(int var1,
.............double b)
{
------->for (int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
------->------->myprintf ("%d\n",
------->------->..........i);
}

The last one is specially useful in C++ where templates and long type
names usually forces to break functions and expressions (and templated
types inside functions declarations) on multiple lines; because they
keep the alignment in different editors (or different emacs with
different tab-width).

Is it some variable/policy or method to produce 1 or 2 with what is
already there??

Thanks in advance,
Ergus.