Re: NS port: How to debug excessive garbage collection?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: NS port: How to debug excessive garbage collection?
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 12:30:33 +0300

> Date:  Thu, 11 Apr 2019 16:04:47 -0700
> From:  Keith David Bershatsky <address@hidden>
> Cc:  address@hidden
>
> I performed three (3) tests wherein I held the right arrow-key (right-char)
> depressed for a few seconds in the *GNU Emacs* welcome buffer:
>
>     (progn
>       (setq timer-list nil
>             timer-idle-list nil)
>       (add-hook 'post-command-hook (lambda () (message "%s"
> (garbage-collect)))))

I don't think this is a good idea.  You need to see the results after
performing the same commands in each case, not after every command.

Or maybe just put a breakpoint inside garbage_collect_1, and see which
of the *_consed variables goes up more in the modified version as
compared to the unchanged master.