Re: Is it safe to use the combine-after-change-calls like this?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is it safe to use the combine-after-change-calls like this?
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 08:21:47 -0400

>> Also, regarding interaction with non-CC-mode buffers: you might be able
>> to improve the efficiency of the code by executing the command of the
>> various cursors starting with the one closest to point-max and finishing
>> with the one closest to point-min.
> I don’t understand this well.

If you're currently operating (via Iedit or MC) at positions 10, 42 and
347, then I think it's going to be slightly more efficient if Iedit/MC
runs your command (e.g. self-insert-command, delete-char, you name it)
in the order

    run at 347
    run at 42
    run at 10

then if it does it in the order

    run at 10
    run at 42
    run at 347

> I see that when iedit-mode is on, it calls after-change-functions on
> change around every active cursors for every char inputing.

Yes, of course, that's what after-change-functions is for.

        Stefan