Re: Bloat in the Emacs Windows package

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Bloat in the Emacs Windows package
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 16:17:55 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Are all those dependencies necessary?
>
> The answer depends on what you intend to do with Emacs.

Phillip goes to great lengths to be helpful, but IMO he is distributing
too much stuff. There are plenty of dlls on the Emacs /bin directory
with potential to break things. It would break my setup for sure,
because it contains the tcl/tk dlls that will interfere with what I have
installed.

>> According to the GNU Emacs FAQ for MS Windows they are Windows 98 and
>> Windows NT 4.0 through to Windows 8.1. It doesn't make sense claiming
>> Windows 98 support without not also ensuring that the software fits on
>> a hard disk a Windows 98 user would use.
>
> We have the no-deps package for people whose disk space is at premium.
> And anyway, are you saying that a 100MB file doesn't fit on a typical
> disk of a Windows 9X system?  There's a limit to exaggeration when you
> want to make a point; if you exceed that limit, your arguments run the
> risk that people will not regard them as serious.

106 MB is the zip file. 366 MB unzipped. If the Windows 98 machine runs
on a surviving machine of the same era, that's a big chunk of a typical
hard drive.