Re: Using __builtin_expect (likely/unlikely macros)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Using __builtin_expect (likely/unlikely macros)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 11:58:36 -0700

Óscar Fuentes wrote:
For improvements where the
generated code is "obviously" faster (fewer and simpler instructions,
say), I typically don't bother with measurements as my own time is
limited too.
You will be surprised.

Modern hardware is complex.

I'm often surprised :-), but I don't expect to be surprised when the generated code seems obviously faster to me. Although I'm not as expert as the computer architecture researcher whose office sits next to mine, I know how modern hardware works reasonably well and regularly give lectures on topics like μops and TLBs so I won't be surprised as often as a naive programmer might be.
If the 1.3% improvement in performance requires non-minimal source code
complexity growth

It doesn't. In this case the source code shrank slightly. Only very slightly: just by 0.001% (this counts all files under Git control). Still, a win's a win.