Re: [RFC] Some new vector procedures (vector-{memq, apply, to-string, ..

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [RFC] Some new vector procedures (vector-{memq, apply, to-string, ...})
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 17:01:55 -0400

> I'm not sure how one would avoid the allocation lambda does without a
> new special form (or byte compiler optimization that checks that you
> only give args to apply), but perhaps I'm overlooking something.
> There could also be a &rest-vector, but that's likely going too far.

I don't have any good ideas to solve that either, but I figured it was
worth mentioning.

> Right, I'm not under the impression that it would be a monumental
> difference (that's why I called it a stupid itch :). Still, I think
> there's a middle ground between lists and hash tables that vectors would
> fit into nicely enough.

The problem is usually in the construction phase, where it's a lot
easier to construct the list, whereas for vectors you'll likely want to
first construct a list and later convert it to a vector.

Growable vectors would be nice, but they're a different beast (need
a different low-level representation).

        Stefan