Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: CHECK_STRUCTS/dmpstruct.h mechanism is broken.
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 21:07:33 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:

We want ./configure ARGS; make ARGS  to be a universal recipe
for building any package.  It's not good enough if
users have to hand-simulate it.

These days typically the only 'hand-simulation' needed on non-GNU platforms is to put the right 'make' into one's PATH. I'm not sure I'd call that 'hand-simulation' - it's more just preparing the proper build environment.

I suppose the problem could be worked around by having 'configure' check whether 'make' supports GNU 'make' features, and if not installing a dummy Makefile that turns around and calls GNU 'make' (whatever its name is) with the real 'makefile'. However, given that nobody has complained about the problem since September 2016 when Emacs 25 was released, adding a workaround for this issue surely cannot be high priority, as anybody who was likely to have run into the issue has almost surely figured things out already.