Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Toon Claes
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 23:19:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Such significant changes in our processes cannot be done by
> "deciding".  It's a large job that needs motivated individuals to do
> it.  Doing it also requires first-hand knowledge of our maintenance
> procedures and special needs.

I agree. Whatever tooling gets added, it should not get in the way of
how the maintainers work now. They are still doing the hard work and
need to have a workflow that works best for them.

> So if someone wants to make this happen, I urge you to come on board,
> get involved in maintenance, collect some real-life experience in
> routine development and maintenance tasks, and then lead the change,
> doing most of the work yourself.  And yes, Savannah will most probably
> be a large part of the equation, so you will need their cooperation as
> well.

TBH, I've tried this. For years I've been following the mailing list,
and I want to get involved in Emacs development. But I've found it hard
to get around in the codebase.

I'm not sure, but it might be a chicken-and-egg problem. If the tools
are not convenient *for me* to follow-up bugs, review patches, etc., it
will also not help me familiarize with the codebase and
vice-versa. Although that might be an exaggeration, cause I haven't been
finding a lot of time to be actively involved in Emacs development.

But I've been involved in setting up EMBA, cause I believed it might be
the first step towards a "more modern" workflow. If the Emacs community,
and their maintainers, are open to adding such workflow, I'll do my best
to get involved in that too.

-- Toon