Re: isearch region or thing at point.

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch region or thing at point.
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 22:41:28 +0300

>>The closest to this that I'm aware of is
>>isearch-forward-symbol-at-point, bound to 'M-s .' by default.
>>
> I just made a small change in isearch.el to enable region text auto
> insertion in transient-mark-mode. (patch attached)
>
> I did it as simple as I could. So please if you (or any anyone) could
> give a look and correct/improve/expose corner cases, or suggest a better
> implementation will be very nice.
>
> I don't have corner cases right now, but I just started testing it.
>
> So any correction/suggestion/recommendation is very appreciated.

Thanks, such addition is welcome.  Currently searching the
active region requires invocation of several commands: M-w C-s M-y
with a bad side-effect of leaving the region in the kill-ring.

However, adding a new option is not a satisfactory solution
because often isearch is used to extend the boundaries of the
active region, e.g. by setting the region's beginning with C-SPC,
then searching the region's end and exiting isearch there.

Fortunately, like Basil mentioned the command isearch-forward-symbol-at-point
bound to 'M-s .' you could create a similar command bound to e.g. 'M-s r'
that would start isearch with the text from the active region.