Re: Crashes in "C-h h"

From: Pip Cet
Subject: Re: Crashes in "C-h h"
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 08:17:39 +0000

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 7:52 AM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Oops, I should have said "again", here.
>
> Parse error.  What is "f", what is "g", where should I insert
> "again".  Maybe ENOCOFFEE.

int
noop (Lisp_Object x, ptrdiff_t n)
{
  return 0;
}

int
f (Lisp_Object x, ptrdiff_t n)
{
  return FIXNUMP (x) && XFIXNUM (x) == n;
}

int
g (Lisp_Object x, ptrdiff_t n)
{
  return EQ (x, make_fixnum (n));
}

Using "g" is about 8 seconds slower than "noop". Using "f" is about 85
seconds slower than "noop". Using "f" is about 76 seconds slower than
"g".

Paul thinks those numbers are as expected. I'm very surprised the
difference is so pronounced for Paul, and can't reproduce it here, but
we all agree that EQ (x, make_fixnum (n)) is the right thing to do if
you are certain n is in the fixnum range.