Re: OSX FSEvents file watching support

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: OSX FSEvents file watching support
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 18:47:00 +0200

18 juli 2019 kl. 16.53 skrev Muir Manders <address@hidden>:

> Based on my testing, FSEvents reports the full file path for each change
> along with metadata about the file and the change.

Look at that, kFSEventStreamCreateFlagFileEvents is new (to me). Thanks!
On the other hand, using that flag would increase load on Emacs if there is a
lot of irrelevant changes, so I'm not sure it is useful unless changes are
sporadic and/or the subtrees watched carefully constrained.

FSEvents does have a rate limiter of sorts (the 'latency' parameter), which
works better when that flag isn't used. Since filenotify normally knows what
files are of interest anyway, that may be more efficient.

For monitoring an entire subtree for changes, FSEvents is clearly useful. A
sensible interface would allow a filter to be specified (globs or regexp) so
that this could be handled by the back-end directly, avoiding the rather
expensive call-out to elisp.