Re: Image transformations

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Image transformations
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 10:08:39 -0400

>> We do?  I thought we wanted to _avoid_ ImageMagick at all costs, more
>> or less.
> Not at all costs, surely?

Yes.  AFAIK ImageMagick is mostly unmaintained and comes with a lot of
bugs (those two aspects are related), some/many of them affecting
Emacs's stability or introducing security holes.

For this reason we decided it was important to develop "native image
transforms".  And if some features of the old imagemagick support aren't
available in the new code, then either we decide it's OK to drop support
for those (that's currently our position for non-90-rotations) or we
should add those features to the "native transforms" (which I suspect
is what will happen eventually for the non-90-rotations).

        Stefan