Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b75fb81 1/4: Extend button.el to take callback

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b75fb81 1/4: Extend button.el to take callback data
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 15:11:16 +0300

address@hidden (Lars Ingebrigtsen) writes:

> branch: master
> commit b75fb81e362b8afbf37da0d2480676269430694c
> Author: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Commit: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
>
>     Extend button.el to take callback data

Can you please explain the rationale behind this?  I'm not sure it's a
good idea:

1. Arbitrary data can already be associated with buttons and retrieved
   in their action functions using button-get, button-put, and on button
   creation with make{,-text}-button et al.

2. AIUI this is a potentially backward-incompatible change, as existing
   action functions, which expect to receive a button, may now receive
   the value of the button-data property instead.

So at first glance I'm not convinced the minor convenience of not having
to manually (button-get button 'button-data) or similar in the action
function is worth messing with the pre-existent and cleaner API.  Am I
missing something?

Thanks,

--
Basil