Re: Native line numbers landed on master

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Native line numbers landed on master
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 12:22:40 +0200

From: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 03:51:29 +0200
Cc: Stefan Kangas <address@hidden>, Robert Pluim <address@hidden>,
        Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
Ergus <address@hidden>,
        Emacs developers <address@hidden>

> Can we add a line number offset?
>
> display-line-number-offset
>
> As a signed integer which gets added the current number, defaulting to
> 0.

That's a different feature.

Indeed.

As a different feature this should be in a different
branch||patch||commit please.

I don't understand the semantics.

I can suggest easy solutions:

- If you set it to a negative number (as you'll do, to compensate for the
headers), what number will had
previous lines: negative (which is currently unsupported), or positive going
backwards?

The latter.  Or maybe no number at all.

- What do you want to do when in relative/visual modes?

Nothing: these modes are incompatible with the offset mode.

We should document that for the absolute numeration
(display-line-numbers t) in the manual and when defining DEFVAR_LISP
"display-line-numbers" right?

About the names I like the major/minor approach more than M/N.