Re: Escaping a string for substitute-command-keys

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Escaping a string for substitute-command-keys
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2019 10:33:19 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2019 00:03:01 -0400
>
> > Please tell more about these inconsistencies.  Specifically, which
> > APIs behave inconsistently?
>
> There are two main places that I know of in Emacs that use help-echo:
> help-at-pt, specifically display-local-help, which displays the contents of
> the help-echo in the echo area; and show_help_echo, in keyboard.c, which
> calls show-help-function after running substitute-command-keys.
>
> The inconsistency is that the former displays the help-echo property
> unmodified, whereas the latter displays it after running
> substitute-command-keys.

Thanks.

I see that the kbd-help property and all the facilities of
help-at-pt.el are not documented at all in the ELisp manual, which I
think is a documentation bug, because in some contexts they override
the similar help-echo facilities.  I also think help-at-pt.el should
indeed pass help-echo through substitute-command-keys, at least by
default.

Having read help-at-pt.el, I now don't understand why we need that
package, since help-echo can be easily displayed in the echo area as
well.  But that ship has sailed, so even if we deprecate this package
now, we should first make it consistent with help-echo.

Would you please file a bug report about these issues?

Thanks.