Re: Extend gdb to filter registers

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Extend gdb to filter registers
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 12:19:22 -0400

Yuan Fu <address@hidden> writes:

> Michael Welsh Duggan <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I live by it.  I can still do multiple gdb session using M-x gud-gdb.
>> This is the sole blocker that prevents me from using gdb-mi.
>
> Could you describe why do you debug two programs in the same time?

There are two circumstances, one for which it is necessary, and the
other of which for which it is not.

The one for which it is necessary is when I am debugging both sides of a
client/server protocol, and I want to see what both the client and the
server are doing.

In the not-as-necessary but I do it all the time category, I often am
working on several programs at a time (I do a lot of infrastructure
maintenance on my team) and have to switch from debugging one to
debugging another but would prefer to not lose my prior debugging state
when doing so.

For both these I could run a separate emacs, but I am generally in the
"one long-running emacs" camp, as I know is not uncommon in this group.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)