Navigation from Nautilus to Emacs via Tramp (was: bug#37573: 27.0.50; Re

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Navigation from Nautilus to Emacs via Tramp (was: bug#37573: 27.0.50; Remote file opened from GNOME-Nautilus)
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 16:43:31 +0200

Tim Zander <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Tim,

> Thanks, it did help.+

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad that it works also for you.

[I've removed the debbugs address from Cc, because the following is not
related to the bug solution. Addedd emacs-devel instead]

> I am willing to write a patch for mapping the gvfs
> files to the tramp files. Could I get some more hints towards this
> solution?

Might be helpful, yes. But this is not trivial.

First question: do you intend to submit this to Emacs (or GNU ELPA)? I
suppose the latter would be more appropriate, as a package on its own.

Anyway, both options would require that you assign the copyright for
your contributions to the FSF. Would you be willing so?

Technically, you would need to write an own file name handler, see

  (info "(elisp) Magic File Names")

This file name handler would watch all relevant file name operations for
file names starting with "/run/user/<nnn>/gvfs/", and map them to the
Tramp file name.
"/run/user/1000/gvfs/sftp:host=localhost/home/albinus/.emacs" would be
mapped to "/sftp:localhost:/home/albinus/.emacs", for example.

See the package tramp-archive.el as example. It does something similar,
and maps file archives (like "/path/to/123.tar/" to a corresponding
Tramp GVFS file name. The crucial point is the trailing slash here,
which activates the mapping.

> Thanks
> Tim

Best regards, Michael.