Re: bug#37656: 27.0.50; Arbitrary code execution with special `mode:'

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: bug#37656: 27.0.50; Arbitrary code execution with special `mode:'
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 18:23:30 -0400

Besides this particular problem, whose fix might just be to remove an already
deprecated feature, there's the more general issue that many people enable
Flymake and Flycheck unconditionally in prog-mode and derivatives.

Flycheck has that same code execution problem, and it's been a known design
issue for a while.  I think the right fix is to make a safe ELisp macroexpander
(we try call checkers for languages that execute code at compile time with
appropriate flags, but such flags are not always available; locally, I have a
list of paths to enable Flycheck on, and I disable it otherwise).

Clément.