Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Add a separate mode for .dir-locals.el
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 13:21:37 +0100

Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2019-10-17 03:53, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
>>> Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 04:20:52 +0200
>>> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>

>>> Makes sense to me.
>>
>> Isn't it more logical for this to be solved in Flymake itself,
>> including letting users have Flymake enabled in their dir-locals
>> files?
>
> CC-ing João for an opinion.  My concern was mostly to give minor modes
> a clear signal that they can use to tell whether they are in proper
> emacs-lisp-mode, or in a dir-locals.el, as well as giving users a hook
> for .dir-locals.el files.

I've missed the rest of the thread and don't have time to catch up right
now.  But AFAIR, one can set flymake-diagnostic-functions in file-local
variables.  So a .dir-locals.el file could have comment  trailer with its
own file-local variables.  If that's too meta, or too complicated, then
dir-locals-mode sounds pretty good to me too.

Actually it sounds better, because it's not exactly an emacs-lisp file,
you can't load or compile it, for one.

I don't know who proposed it, or what it meant exactly, but solving this
in Flymake directly sounds like hack.

João