Re: master f480484: * doc/lispref/display.texi (Low-Level Font): Describ

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master f480484: * doc/lispref/display.texi (Low-Level Font): Describe max-width.
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 19:23:49 +0300

> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 17:13:20 +0200
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>
>
>     Juanma> +@item max-width
>     Juanma> +The maximum advance width of the font.
>     Juanma> +
>
> How is this distinct from the 'retreat' width of the font?

A font never retreats.

> More seriously, Iʼm assuming this is the maximum width of a character
> in the font, in which case we should say so.

No, it's the maximum, over all the characters of the font, of the
number if pixels to advance after drawing a character.  It could be
different from the character width when there are overlaps.

I'm not sure we should go into such details here, because describing
the fundamentals of digital typography is well out of scope of this
manual.  People should look elsewhere for the detailed information
about this.