Re: Autloading seq.el functions

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Autloading seq.el functions
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 13:43:14 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> I see we have currently 2 functions autoloaded from seq.el:
> seq-find and seq-position.
>
> While I can live with it, I find it unsatisfactory: these seem
> completely arbitrary since they're not in any obvious sense more "entry
> points" than other functions in that library.

Eli suggested this methodology as a way to use seq.el in pre-dumped
files without pre-dumping seq.el in Emacs (and as a way to determine
whether seq.el is really needed).  I suspect that we'll end up (after a
year or two) having all the functions in seq.el ;;;###autoloaded.

> Maybe there are good reasons why these two specifically need to be
> autoloaded while it's not nearly as important for the others, but if so
> I'd like to have some comment explaining it, otherwise it's odd to see
> some package use `seq-*` functions without requiring `seq` while most
> others have to require `seq`.

That's really an intermediary artefact while this is being worked out --
I suspect that in Emacs 29 no packages will have to require seq.