Behavior of editable-field widget

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Behavior of editable-field widget
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 19:22:36 -0400

AFAIK The editable widget let you insert anywhere in the field. In a
GUI, cursor (point) sticks to the beginning of the field or the end of
the existing text like

      ||                                            |

and

      |SOME TEXT|                                   |

Where the “|” represents the cursor.

I think this behavior is not hard to implement with some text
properties. Is there any reason behind the current behavior?

P.S. In GUI’s one normally click on the editable field to
activate/select it before he/she can edit anything. Could we
mimic that behavior in widgets? I.e., click/hit enter before
one can edit the field.

Yuan