Re: icalendar.el bug fix patch

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: icalendar.el bug fix patch
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 12:56:29 +0100

4 nov. 2019 kl. 01.50 skrev Paul Eggert <address@hidden>:

> If we want to keep with this tradition, Emacs should use a separate escape
> sequence for "match any single character including newline".

I very much agree, for practicality more than tradition. An atomic notation is
far superior to a modal mechanism.

> On looking into what other systems do, I find that I prefer Vim's syntax of
> '\_.' to match any single character including newline.

Thanks for finding that. Another advantage of '\_.' is that it does not change
the behaviour of existing regexps; '\!' currently means '!', but '\_.' is a
syntax error.

There doesn't seem to be much else in Vim's '\_' family worth appropriating for
Emacs. If anything, I'd favour adding some (non-Vim) Unicode patterns: \p and
\P for general categories and \X for graphemes.