Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 10:25:27 +0000

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

>> Yes, but much more controlled.  This particular change in defaults
>> so is
>> done so that the explanatory part that people (presumably) like about
>> the current 'basic' match highlighting is still preserved.
> I might have missed what you are referring to here exactly.

And I missed this comment in my last reply.  Let me summarize, if I
can.  My proposal has two parts, the second one is optional.  I propose:

Part 1: Face renaming so that each completion style is relatively free
to emphasize the things that it decides need emphasizing.
completions-first-difference is renamed completions-emphasis and
completions-common is renamed completions-secondary-emphasis.  Default
values absolutely unchanged.  completion-pcm--hilit-commonality starts
using completions-emphasis.

Current users of 'basic' would see no difference whatsoever.  Current
users of pcm-based styles would see a defaults change, but there are not
that many, I think.  If I'm wrong, we restrict this change just to
'flex' by changing just completion-flex-all-completions.

Part 2: A "controlled" defaults change whereby the 'basic' style starts using
completions-emphasis where it used to use completions-common.  And
completions-emphasis-secondary where it used to use
completions-first-difference.

This second steps yields a moderate gain in "consistency" to other
editors that also use prefix-matching somehow.

>> Possibly/probably by using delayed evaluation techniques.
> My limiting the number of completions, most likely.

I also want to review my previous comment to this.  I said those editors
"suck", but that is totally gratuitous since I have no idea exactly what
they do.  If limiting yields performance increaase, then of course we
should do it.  In fact I use this in SLY, when I have to send
completions through the wire.  But I don't in any way limit the set of
symbols from which completions can be collected.  This set has to be
explored fully, because the "best" match might lurk at the very
boundaries or the set.

João