Re: Fwd: version vs edition numbers in Emacs manuals

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Fwd: version vs edition numbers in Emacs manuals
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 11:32:00 -0800

On 11/10/19 7:26 PM, John Sullivan wrote:
maybe the solution could be to have two online
versions, one that corresponds to print and is only updated when a new
print version is made, and the other is the one that the developers with
each release or whenever they feel is appropriate? And that latter
version would not have any edition number. We wouldn't have any problem
with the primary canonical manual link
(https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html) being used for
the online-only version. What do you think?

Sounds good. This can be done by Texinfo flags, which are set for the printed version and generate an edition number, and are clear for the canonical online/info manual and do not generate an edition number. I installed the attached patch into the GNU Emacs master to do this. We can tweak it as needed later.