RE: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, pl

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 07:22:22 -0800 (PST)

> The "Recent messages" bit in the bug reports is a bomb just waiting to
> blow up.  At some point somebody will be doing some mining of the bug
> repo for "interesting" messages and do a write-up of how horribly lax
> the GNU project it with people's privacy.
>
> And they'd be correct: I think including that bit in the bug report is
> indefensible.  (Not to mention useless.)

If this is judged to be extremely serious, then the
default value of the option I proposed could be flipped,
so that by default nothing (other than, say, the Emacs
version) is included.

I made the default behavior include everything, because
I thought that (1) that would be more acceptable, and
it is backward-compatible, and (2) it is presumably
most helpful for bug fixers, by providing more info.

But there's no problem changing the default to include
nothing user-oriented, or even nothing at all.  That's
a decision for Emacs to make.  What to _actually_
include by default should be decidable by an individual
user.