Re: On elisp running native

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 11:04:18 -0500

> Hi all.  I'd like share the investigation I've been working on to give
> Emacs the ability to compile and run elisp as native code.

This looks great, thanks.

[ I wasn't able to follow all the explanations at
  http://akrl.sdf.org/gccemacs.html, such as the one around "function
  frames", with which I'm not familiar.  Are these like activation
  frames? ]

A few questions:

- How did you get there?  I see some "we" in the web page, which makes
  it sound like you weren't completely alone.

- AFAICT most of the new compilation code is in comp.el and comp.c focuses
  on "code generation", right?  Can you say something about the time it
  takes to compile files?
  What does the time break down looks like (i.e. percentage spent in
  bytecompiler, comp.el, comp.c, libgccjit)?

- Have you tried to use the compiler as benchmark (i.e. how much faster
  can Emacs compile (either byte-compile or native-compile)) if the
  compiler code is native-compiled (since it's all using
  lexical-binding already)?

-- Stefan