Re: Emacs Mac port

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs Mac port
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2019 10:01:13 +0900

On Wed, 04 Dec 2019 21:09:20 +0900,
Pankaj Jangid wrote:

> >> Does it solve the problem of iCloud Directory permissions? This issue
> >> - https://github.com/caldwell/build-emacs/issues/84 Regards,
> >
> > I've never seen this issue on the Mac port.  It pops up a dialog
> > asking for permission to access the directory on the first attempt.
> >
> > Did you experience this issue on some older version of the Mac port?
>
> Actually, I was confused. I was talking about the build which is
> distributed via [[https://emacsformacosx.com/]] website. This build uses
> ruby wrappers and the issue occurs because of that.
>
> Your build is plain emacs build directly from the official emacs git
> repository. This build works fine.

No.  You are referring to the NS port.  The Mac port is not a modified
version of the NS port, but a different GUI implementation on macOS.
They have different designs, policies, and histories.

NS port-specific Obj-C files and LOC (as of Emacs 26.3):

    1514 nsfont.m
     197 nsgui.h
     513 nsimage.m
    1893 nsmenu.m
     511 nsselect.m
    1323 nsterm.h
    9460 nsterm.m
   18754 total

Mac port-specific C/Obj-C files and LOC (as of Emacs 26.3 Mac 7.8):

    3237 mac.c
    1436 macappkit.h
   17097 macappkit.m
    5434 macfns.c