Re: Daemon/Client, Multiple Terminals, and `tty-erase-char'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Daemon/Client, Multiple Terminals, and `tty-erase-char'
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 17:30:10 +0200

> Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 05:57:59 +0000
> From: Alexander Shukaev <address@hidden>
>
> The expectation is that 'normal-erase-is-backspace' does the right thing in
> different terminal of course. But
> that's just an example, and aside from it, this variable seems to be
> terminal-specific due to its nature.

Do you have a real-life situation where it is important to have
'normal-erase-is-backspace' to be different on different terminals?

We have some infrastructure to record the value in a terminal
parameter, but I don't see the mode function called when we switch
frames.  And a mode cannot be terminal- or frame-specific.

So it looks like if someone intended to make this work differently on
different terminals, they didn't finish the job.  Or maybe I missing
something; but if not, the question is whether we really need this
stuff nowadays, or is it obsolete and should be removed at some future
point.