Re: Change in vc-git ls-files-unknown makes emacs hang

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Change in vc-git ls-files-unknown makes emacs hang
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 00:42:24 +0200

On 19.12.2019 22:44, Filipp Gunbin wrote:

Yes, I caught it, and this:

UUIC, the only case where this change should lead to a performance
problem is a Git repository with lots of unregistered files. Ones not
hidden by gitignore.

is exactly my use case.  I have git repo right in my home dir, mainly
for dot-files.  Most other stuff there is in .gitignore, but there're
some not-ignored directories with large amount of files,

Then, first of all, you know the workaround: add some gitignore entries.

like .ivy2 with
cache of jars from ivy repositories.

I wonder: how many files?

And it would be helpful, of course, to figure out which code calls it during desktop-read. It's probably not VC-Dir, or you would have have noticed it much earlier. Maybe some third-party code?

And vc-dir there (or in a subdirectory) leads to a freeze.

I'm hesitant to revert it because VC-Dir really doesn't deal with the previous format very well (meaning, directories with statuses returned only sometimes).

And before the latest change you couldn't easily register new files from the VC-Dir buffer if the directory they are in is also new.

So, opinions welcome.