Re: /* FIXME: Call signal_after_change! */ in callproc.c. Well, why no

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: /* FIXME: Call signal_after_change! */ in callproc.c. Well, why not?
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 17:58:03 +0200

> Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 12:51:11 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> > > This really ugly, IMO.  And the code logic is very hard to follow and
> > > verify its correctness, given the various use cases.
>
> [ .... ]
>
> > I think the basic idea of my change is sound, but it is suboptimally
> > coded.  My confusion, I think, arose from the use of the PREPARE
> > parameter in the call to insert_1_both, which creates several different
> > cases.  This is a bad idea.  If instead we put in a single call to
> > prepare_to_modify_buffer, this should be relatively easy to follow.  One
> > or two comments would also be helpful.
>
> I think the following patch is better.  What do you think?

Frankly, I don't like this, for the reasons I explained in my other
message.  If you insist on jumping through these hoops just to avoid
an extra call to the modification hooks, please write a comment with
the detailed description of the logic of these calls and their
conditions, and how that ensures the paired calls with no extra calls.

Thanks.