Re: *scratch* buffer documentation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: *scratch* buffer documentation
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 22:25:59 +0200

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2019 02:15:16 +0900
>
> I just tried something:
>
> create a buffer, type something, kill Emacs.
>
> Of course, when I restarted Emacs the buffer was gone.
>
> In any other editor I'd either have a warning that I'm going to lose data or
> the data would have been automatically saved and would be restored when I
> restarted the editor.

So maybe you should ask for a new feature, where such a warning will
be displayed.

> This behavior is specific to Emacs and its buffers and should be properly
> documented.

It _is_ documented.  The disagreement between us is _where_ should it
be documented.  I'm saying that the proper place to document it is
where killing buffers is described.  For example, what happens with
buffers when you exit Emacs is described in "Exiting", where the
manual says:

     “Killing” Emacs means terminating the Emacs program.  To do this,
  type ‘C-x C-c’ (‘save-buffers-kill-terminal’).  A two-character key
  sequence is used to make it harder to type by accident.  If there are
  any modified file-visiting buffers when you type ‘C-x C-c’, Emacs first
  offers to save these buffers.  If you do not save them all, it asks for
  confirmation again, since the unsaved changes will be lost.  Emacs also
  asks for confirmation if any subprocesses are still running, since
  killing Emacs will also kill the subprocesses (*note Shell::).

What you seem to be asking is unreasonable: to have everything related
to buffers in one section.  That will be a very large and confusing
section, lumping many loosely related traits of buffers together.  It
will not be an easy reading at all.

Therefore, we choose to subdivide the complex topic of buffers and
their behavior into several sections, and describe each trait near the
commands and variables related to it.  That makes the manual introduce
the features gradually, and latter reading about each set of related
features much easier.