Re: On elisp running native

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 22:13:13 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>> Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 14:35:46 +0000
>>
>> I guess it's easier to read in code than to explain (is really not
>> much).  In case you can find 'load_comp_unit' into:
>>
>> https://gitlab.com/koral/gccemacs/raw/dev/src/comp.c
>
> Well, it's a 34K-line file full of calls to gcc_jit functions.  It's
> hard to figure out what it does unless one is already familiar with
> libgccjit.

Sure I was just talking about the load process.

> Can you describe what happens using a simple example?  Suppose I have
> a simple function whose body does
>
>   (let ((i 0))
>     (while (< i something)
>       (foobar i)
>       (setq i (1+ i))))
>
> When this is compiled with libgccjit using your code, will the
> resulting native code include calls to Fwhile, Fsetq, and Fadd1?  Or
> will it convert the above to the equivalent machine-language loop?  If
> the latter, how does it know what to produce for Fwhile, for example?
>
> P.S.  Pointers to your code where it does something that answers the
> above questions are very fine.
>
> Thanks.

I think would be helpful to try writing something more than just a
single mail.  I'll try to come-up with something written on the web page
describing the compilation process for your example and post the update
here to discuss.

I'll try to do it in the next days (I apologize I'm a little task
saturated).

Thanks

Andrea

--