Re: On elisp running native

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 18:47:57 +0200

> From: Andrea Corallo <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 16:21:58 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> From: Andrea Corallo <address@hidden>
> >> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> >> Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 10:24:37 +0000
> >>
> >> For the branch name would 'gccemacs' be fine?
> >
> > The "emacs" part is redundant, so I'd suggest "libgccjit" instead.
>
> The libgccjit interface and dependency is just a part of the realized
> infrastructure (also in discussion).  I'd like to call it something like
> "native-comp" or "native-lisp".  I believe is more descriptive of what
> I've done and of its scope.  Thinking about is not even a jit
> compiler...

We are splitting hair, but...

"native-SOMETHING" is too general.  E.g., we already had a serious
attempt to produce native code, by using libjit.  We may have
additional attempts; for example Paul Eggert once proposed to teach
Emacs to generate C code from Lisp, and then compile it.

The advantage of libgccjit is that it pinpoints the main component on
which this particular implementation is based, so future attempts to
do it differently will not clash with the name.

That said, it's just a name.  If you feel strongly about it, I won't
object.

> >> Should I squash all my history or keep it as it is?  The branch went
> >> through quite some experimentations.  I'm not sure about its history
> >> value.
> >
> > It's completely up to you, since it's your history.
>
> If is possible to postpone the history rework to before the eventual
> merge I guess I'll prefer to do so.  It's a bit messy but if it does not
> bother others it does not bother me.

That's fine.

>   - Is force push allowed in these feature branches?

For such a large feature I'd prefer not to do that, assuming that some
people will want to track that branch and perhaps contribute changes
and patches.  Why would force-push be necessary?

>   - Should it go in / /feature or /scratch ?

Under feature/, please.

Thanks.