Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 19:00:39 +0300

On 03.01.2020 12:05, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Would someone like to try to figure out how we could use the
incremental parsing technology in Emacs for making our
programming-language support more accurate and efficient?  One package
that implements this technology is tree-sitter:

   https://tree-sitter.github.io/tree-sitter/

AFAIU, these capabilities could be used as an alternative to
regexp- and syntax-pps-based font-lock, better code folding,
completion, refactoring, and other similar features; in general, any
feature which would benefit from having a parse tree for the source
code in a buffer.

Quite some time ago we talked with Stefan about supporting certain complex language features, and kind of agreed that we could use a new way to specify syntax, something to supersede syntax-propertize-function (and maybe font-lock).

Tree-Sitter could be an example of how such new grammars could be structured, but I think we'd need that implemented in Lisp. Not in a foreign library that we import through modules mechanism.