Re: Replacing all C code????

From: Fangrui Song
Subject: Re: Replacing all C code????
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 08:58:24 -0800

On 2020-01-05, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Rewriting all the C code of Emacs in some other language would be a
tremendous job.

But one that can be "embarassingly parallel" and that doesn't require
necessarily much design work, so it's not terribly hard, many people are
able to participate.
It might not make Emacs better, so it might be harder to motivate people,
but the REmacs experience seems to suggest that it could work.

If execution of the other language is slower, the slowdown could make
Emacs unusable on old machines.  Old machines such as the T200 and
T400 are very important for our freedom since we can run them with
Libreboot.  We must not downgrade support for them.

My main machines run on Core 2 Duos, so I definitely care about those
"old" machines,

I want to contribute data points from other GNU projects that Emacs may
learn from.

GCC moved to C++ [1][2].
gdb moved from C90 to C++ [3]. The filenames are still *.c, but
binutils-gdb/gdb/.dir-locals.el contains:

  (c-mode . ((c-file-style . "GNU")
              (mode . c++)

These processes also motivated people to find obsoleted code (probably
while doing "embarassingly parallel" work).

[1]: https://lwn.net/Articles/542457/
[2]: https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/gcc-in-cxx
[3]: https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/cxx-conversion