Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Using incremental parsing in Emacs
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2020 21:40:45 +0200

> From: arthur miller <address@hidden>
> CC: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>, "address@hidden"
>       <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 19:23:16 +0000
>
> I think there are two use-cases:
>
> 1) batch processing where entire file (or visible portion) is processed by
> different thread(s), for example on file
> opening or if some expansion takes place (yasnippet or similar).
>
> This can be done by dividing text in number of blocks (lines or similar) and
> letting each thread match block
> atva time against shared pattern database.
>
> 2) interactive use; when user is typing actively.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how any of this is
relevant to batch processing.  We never do anything in batch in an
interactive Emacs session, since the user is always there, waiting.
The display engine has many optimizations to eliminate the delays
caused by prolonged processing required to decide what should change
on the glass.  IOW, "interactive" doesn't just mean "typing", it can
mean any other command that changes what's on display, like scrolling.