Re: master 3fc859d: Go back to iso-2022-7bit for titdic-cnv.el again

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 3fc859d: Go back to iso-2022-7bit for titdic-cnv.el again
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 12:53:05 -0500

> If the charset properties are not important here at all (I'm not sure
> yet), then we should rewrite that code not to "select" one of 2
> identical strings.  And if the charset is important, we should still
> have only one copy of each string, but propertize it with the charset
> selected according to the big5-p flag.

Agreed.  My point was mostly that reverting the encoding to iso-2022 is
probably not the best course of action and that other than "uselessly
complex code" I couldn't find a concrete problem description that can
help decide whether the charset properties are actually relevant.

I'm beginning to believe they're not: they may have been back in
Emacs<23 when it was important to pick the right characters from the
right charset, but since we switched to Unicode for our internals, the
distinction has disappeared.

        Stefan