Re: write-region bug ?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: write-region bug ?
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 23:39:56 +0900

> On Jan 9, 2020, at 23:07, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 21:30:49 +0900
>>
>> Conclusion: the user experience is a mess, messages appear to be
>> contradictory and don't seem to reflect what is actually happening, the
>> state of the file system in emacs does not match the state of the file
>> system in Finder, and besides for the very last message, there are no clues
>> that I've been working on B.txt all that time.
>
> My proposed conclusion is different: what you did is not meant for
> interactive use,

Indeed. And my original use was not interactive. I was writing a string to a
file from inside some code.

And I just spent a few hours trying to understand what was actually happening
to see how I could eventually have seen from the messages that what I was doing
was wrong and I've just shown that the messages are not helping at all.

As I've written in this thread, the manual too was not helping much, neither
were the doc strings, so I'm not sure from where I could

> "have a clear idea what does "visiting a file" means for a buffer and its
> relation with the file it visits."

Jean-Christophe Helary